February 5, 2023
Drove down into the Beast on Saturday morning and had breakfast with Kathy Sue's siblings at Gallo Blanco on Pierce. I had the migas, Kath had the huevos rancheros.
Came home and found this guy, doing his job.
It took me some time, but I finally finished "Story" by Robert McKee and here are my takeaways.
• "Story isn't a flight from reality but a vehicle that carries us on our search for reality, our best effort to make sense out of the anarchy of existence."
• "All stories, honest and dishonest, wise and foolish, faithfully mirror their maker, exposing his humanity, or lack of it."
• [You must embrace] "The love of duality—a feel for life's hidden contradictions, a healthy suspicion that things are not what they seem."
• "Story is not life in actuality. Mere occurrence brings us nowhere near the truth. What happens is fact, not truth. Truth is what we think about what happens."
• "The first step toward a well-told story is to create a small, knowable world."
• "A story is not an accumulation of information strung into a narrative, but a design of events to carry us to a meaningful climax."
• "A story well told gives you the very thing you cannot get from life: a meaningful emotional experience."
• "For the purpose of story a convincing impossibility is preferable to an unconvincing possibility."
• "The music of story is conflict."
• "If the scene is about what the scene is about, you're in deep shit."
Fifty Years Ago, National Lampoon
"History is the symptom, we are the disease."