May 18, 2022
Here's something we can all agree on about our history: the only way we can move forward is to own our past. That's not easy but I believe we are a people who have never shunned the heavy lifting. So, let's start with the positive:
Five Things We Can All Agree On
1. If we are truly a great nation, the truth cannot destroy us.
2. As with all aspects of history, you can make a valid interpretation of both sides of any issue.
3. We are a nation of ridiculous contradictions.
4. We all suffer from the poor history we have been taught. I love history and I did not enjoy the history I was taught in school. Mostly names and dates (The Missouri Compromise, 18-and-whatever!) that did not add up to anything meaningful to me.
5. Most of us are guilty of a "glorious forgetting."
So, how do we move forward? We simply own our past, tell the truth and get on with the business of seeking liberty for everyone who is trying.
Daily Whip Out:
"Las Tules, Someone Who Is Trying"
"Offering our students a history that shakes them out of complacency while inspiring hope for a better future—what could be more useful than that?"
—Emily Sclafani, a history teacher in the Bronx, New York